Below is the JS1 Computer Scheme of work for First, Second and Third Term.
FIRST TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR COMPUTER JS1
FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTER
Constituents of a computer
- Hard ware: System unit, Peripherals
- Soft ware: System software, Application software
Characteristics of a computer with computer Terminology
- DATA AND INFORMATION Definitions of data and information Examples of data and information Differences between data and information How the computer process data Diagrammatic representation of a computer
- COMPUTATION DEVICES I (PRE-COMPUTER AGE TO 19TH CENTURY)
Features, components and uses Napier’s Bone
Features, components and uses Slide Rule
Features, components and uses
Pascal’s Calculator, Leibnitz multipliers, Jacquards Loom Charles Babbage
Difference and Analytic engine, Augusta Ada Byron, Hollerith Census machine,
Punched cards, Burroughs, the comptometer and the cash register.
- COMPUTING DEVICES II (20TH CENTURY TO DATE)
Antanasoft Berry computer, Electronic Numerical integrator and calculator
Electronic Discrete Variable Automatic Computer Universal Automatic Computer
Desktop Personal Computer Laptops and Notebooks
Difference between laptop and Notebooks Other forms of portable device.
SECOND TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR COMPUTER JS1
INPUT DEVICES: Definition
- The computer keyboard: Types, Functions, commands
- The mouse: Type, function, features etc
- Pointing stick, joy stick, track ball, bar code reader, optical character recognition,
magnetic ink character recognition etc.
- OUTPOU DEVICES: Definition
- Monitor: Types of monitor
Types of screen display
- Printers: Functions of printer, types of printer
Video graphic cards and sound cards etc
- COMPUTER SYSTEM SOFTWARE: Definitions, types, categories of application packages
- PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES: Definitions, different level of programming languages, advantages
and disadvantages of the different level of programming language.
- FIFTH GENERATION PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE
THIRD TERM SCHEME OF WORK FOR COMPUTER JS1
COMMUNICATION SYSTEM: Definition of I.C.T,
types of I.C.T
Broadcasting, Telecommunications, Data Networks, information system and satellite communications.
- APPLICATION AREAS OF I.C.T
Tele-conferencing, Tele presence, Tele commuting, video conferencing, Tele communication and networking, multimedia message services, instant messaging
- I.C.T BASED GADGETS
- BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS – Booting, Description of the booting process, types of booting, components of the windows desktop. Practical’s on other simple basic computer operations.
- WORD PROCESSING – Definitions, examples of Word Processor features of Word Processor
- PRESENTATION PACKAGE – Definitions, examples of a presentation package, features of Word Processor using the presentation package.