The United Bank for Africa (UBA) Foundation announces the start of the 2022 edition of the National Essay Competition (NEC) for Nigerian secondary school students. National Essay Competition is now in its 12th year of providing a competitive platform for developing intellectual and writing skills among seniors. Educational grants will be given to winners so that they can study at any African university of their choice.
The 2022 Essay topic is “ASUU Strikes have often cost Nigerian students time. Advise the Nigerian government on how they can reach an agreement with ASUU to improve tertiary education in the country.”
UBA Foundation National Essay Competition Eligibility
- Must be in senior secondary school
- Must submit a handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a copy of a birth certificate, National ID or Passport.
UBA Foundation National Essay Competition Prizes
- First Prize: N5 million educational grant to any African University of the winner’s choice;
- Second prize: N3 million in educational grants to any African University of choice;
- Third Prize: N2.5 million in educational grants to any African University of choice.
UBA Foundation National Essay Competition Selection Procedure
- Entries received for the competition will be reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges made up of professors from reputable Nigerian Universities who will then shortlist 12 essays for further assessment.
- Following this, the second round of competition will involve the 12 finalists who will write a second superior essay from which the three best essays will be selected as the overall winners from the 12 finalists.
How to Enter UBA Essay Competition
- Applicant must submit their completed contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address and Email Address).
- Applicants must attach photocopies of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.
Note: All incomplete and/or duplicate entries will be disqualified.